Wednesday, February 03, 2010

what kids want

i found this list on my friend jenny's blog (she is an awesome mom) and she got it from this site. i'm not a mom yet, but i have a mom, a really great mom. a mom who did all these things with me all the time (well, except watch t.v. together, we didn't have one, but nowdays she watches 'project runway' with me sometimes and loves it, that's pretty great). and this list just gave me a little lift, faith in humanity. corporations are always trying to tell us what kids want- xboxes and fancy robots and candy- well maybe they want those things but what they REALLY want, and what really matters at the end of the day are these things. this reminds me of some research i read in grad school that showed that parents thought the most meaningful things they did with their kids were the big family vacations or trips, where the kids said the most meaningful things were the day to day stuff, like reading in bed, or shooting hoops together, or talking in the kitchen. it's the simple stuff that matters most, and makes the lasting impression. so all you moms and dads out there, keep rocking the simple life. don't worry about that disney princess cruise, that stuff doesn't last in the long run.
  1. Come into my bedroom at night, tuck me in and sing me a song. Also tell me stories about when you were little.
  2. Give me hugs and kisses and sit and talk with me privately.
  3. Spend quality time just with me, not with my brothers and sisters around.
  4. Give me nutritious food so I can grow up healthy.
  5. At dinner talk about what we could do together on the weekend.
  6. At night talk to me about anything: love, school, family etc.
  7. Let me play outside a lot.
  8. Cuddle under a blanket and watch our favorite TV show together.
  9. Discipline me. It makes me feel like you care.
  10. Leave special messages in my desk or lunch bag. (i still remember some of the notes my mom wrote on my napkins in my lunch)

4 comments:

kel said...

wonderful photo. you do have such a stellar mom!

Eliza said...

Good reminder - that what matters most is the daily effort we put into these small people who we've been charged to care for.

Again and again I see that a pattern in the way the Lord teaches us and and the way his work goes forward is by "small and simple means". It is equally wonderful and frightening that the smallest little nudge from Heaven is the movement that ultimately leads us to our eternal reward. Crazy stuff!

kate said...

look at that smiley little girl... i love her.

Jenny said...

Hi Zina,
That really is such a great list and it so made me think of the style of parenting you and your sisters had growing up. Believe it or not, all those days and weeks spent with your family in my very early twenties kind of helped me to finish growing up in a loving way. l,j